Stamford School – Research and Learning Centre
Stamford School was originally founded in 1532 in Stamford, Lincolnshire. Today, it is part of the Stamford Endowed Schools, a leading independent group of three schools for boys and girls aged 2-18.
GSSArchitecture were commissioned by the School to produce a site-wide masterplan, to locate library/ research, sports and performing arts facilities in separate areas of the campus. The library/research space is located within a heavily-refurbished series of Victorian school buildings. The facilities centred on the provision of computer workstations formed by bespoke furniture, and the library features custom-made shelving, all designed by GSSArchitecture.
A centrepiece of the design is a fully-glazed atrium, formed by linking two separate historic buildings to create a dramatic and contemporary space. This acts as a formal entrance to the School’s main hall and is a distinct part of the School’s visual identity.